Saturday, April 24, 2010

Exploring the Philippines and Asia - Plaridel, Quezon

April 6, 2010

Mar and I visited my aunt in Plaridel on our way to Gumaca, Quezon.  Tiya Sofing is the surviving wife of my deceased uncle Binong, brother of my mother Loreto.  I had a lot of questions in my mind about my parents family background before this visit.  These questions I can not ask my parents because my father died when I was in Grade 2 and my mother in 1991.  In Canada, some questions would pop in my head and I would mention it to my husband and we agreed that when we go back to the Philippines, we would see to it to find answers to these questions.

My aunt Sofing whose memory is still crystal clean provided some very important information.  My grandfather Fabian and grandmother Clemencia whom I did not meet (they were deceased when I was born), were both from Bicol.  They moved to Plaridel, Quezon (formerly a barangay called Siain) as a couple and there they had four children.  They were named Pedro, Balbino and Fidel and my mother, Loreto, the 3rd born and the only girl.

During the Japanese occupation, my mother's family moved to the mountains of Gayagayaan, a barangay of Gumaca, Quezon.  There she met my father, Alfredo whose parents are Demetrio Cantal and Patrocenia Valderama.  They became a couple and eventually raised their growing family in a barangay closer to town, now called Villa Principe (formerly Banotin).  They again moved to the town proper where they had a bar/restaurant business while they sent us, their children to school in town.



2 comments:

  1. waahh, it's incomplete. I want to know why the family moved again to Villa Principe. the ancestral house in the town proper is located where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JR, you found my blog. Got lazy to update. Let's talk the next time we visit Pinas. See you.

    ReplyDelete