Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Food Shopping Canadian Style


My husband and I went shopping today.  We went to Langley, a city 27 kms. from our city of Surrey, to our favorite meatshop.  We bought the ff:
20 lbs. of lean ground beef, 2 kgs. of smoked bacon, 5.5 kg. beef shank
$64.00 total Dickison Meat Shop

Next we went to Costco.
15 kgs. brown rice $30, coffeemate and cheerios
$44.00 total Costco

We left Langley and drove back to Surrey where we stopped at our favorite bread shop.    
3 packs of multi-grain bagel and 1 loaf of whole wheat bread
$11.00 total Gavin's

Our last stop was at Canadian Superstore
side pork (liempo) about 3 kgs at 5.67 per kg
2 kgs of bone-in pork at 2.80 per kg.
1 box of chicken strip 1 kg at 6.99
500 gram of cocoa powder (we want to cook champorado)  5.69
2 big nutella  10.60
4 packs of bokchoy (pechay) 2.16 per kg.
2 packs of tofu 1.98 per pack
2.5 kgs of bananas 1.43 per kg.
garlic 2.8 per kg.
carnation evap milk 1.78 per big can
kellogs cereals 5.98 big box
kosher salt 1.99 (we want to stop using iodized salt)
old fashioned oatmeal (not instant) 1 kg 1.94
$73.00 total Canadian Superstore

It would be interesting to note that some food items here are much cheaper.  For example:

pork shoulder (bone-in but not too big bone) is Pesos126.

ground lean beef is Pesos198.00

Side pork or liempo which is Pesos250.00 in Phils. supermarket is 5.69 here or Peos256.00

I used this exchange rate:   Cad1.00 = Pesos45.00

However, bananas which my family eat couple of times a day cost Pesos64.00 per kg.
Bokchoy, one of our favorite vegie cost Pesos97 per kg.
Generally, prices here are more expensive.

Our monthly budget for food and groceries is $600.00 for five adults.

I cook a lot, and in huge quantity, so that we can eat at least two meals out of one dish.  For me it is wiser to cook this way because for the time and effort I spend cooking, I can feed my family at least twice.  Mar, my husband, helps me when I cook.  He calls me the chef and he knows his position - the sous chef.

Our food today are the ff:
chicken breast in mushroom sauce (left over from last night)
brocolli with ground pork and oyster sauce (also left over from last night)
chicken katsu for dinner

I ate the chicken katsu as a sandwhich.  It was good, comparable to chicken sandwich of Burger King.

Sorry, no pictures.  We keep on forgetting to take pictures of my culinary experimentation.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment