Friday, November 6, 2009

Beef Shank Kare-kare (Beef Shank in Peanut Sauce)



I boiled and simmered beef shanks good for two dishes till i's tender this morning.   I wanted to cook nilagang baka today and kare-kare tomorrow.  It is my way of prepping what I will cook for tomorrow and exercising a cost-saving technique by boiling/simmering the beef shanks once instead of twice.

While I was adding vegies to the nilaga,  I am thinking that Marl is not really fond of anything 'soupy' like nilaga, tinola and sinigang.  I decided to finish cooking the kare-kare too.

I used two Mama Sita's kare-kare mix, I added two tbsp. Skippy peanut butter (it's my personal touch) even if its not in the list of ingredients in Mama Sita packet, beans and bokchoy.

I know I lack some vegetables we filipinos use like eggplant and banana heart but we like this simple version of beef kare-kare.  I don't have to go crasy looking for the missing vegetables.  I personally don't like eggplant and banana heart in kare-kare anyway.

Try this simple version, I'm sure you would like it. For cooking instructions, follow Mama Sita's.

Btw, we have a very yummy home-made alamang/bagoong from the Philippines.  We brought it here in June 2009.  Don't laugh, 10 kgs. fresh alamang, slow-cooked to perfection by my friend's househelp, we brought here in Surrey.  Mercifully, alamang got past Vancouver Customs and Immigration without incident.


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment