Sunday, November 1, 2009

Remembering Our Dead Loved Ones


Nov. 1 is when Filipinos go to the cemetery to bring flowers and candles to their family members who have already passed away.  I have experienced this since I was a little girl because my father died when I was in Grade 2.  Rain or shine, we would walk to the cemetery with some flowers and candles we bought along the way.  This was in Gumaca, Quezon.  My mother has joined her creator in 1991 and we buried her in Gumaca too.

I lived in Manila for the most part of my adult life and was not able to go 'home' regularly every Nov. 1, which we call All Saint's Day, to visit my parents grave. The times I was there, it was a memory of flowers, candles, food and family reunion.

In Manila and suburbs and even in the provinces,  Nov. 1 is the one day in a year when traffic is the worst not considering traffic due to floods and typhoons.   People though don't mind, it is a tradition, can't fight tradition.

Today, I am going to light candles for all our deceased loved ones.
Itay
Inay
Ate Luding
Abet
Ate Menying
Myra
RJ
Lolo
Lola
Aunts
Uncles
Tatay
Nanay
Lola Taba
Lolo
Kuya Lito

For those I have not included here in my list, I will light a candle for all of you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment